Energy allowance

The energy allowance is available to households with an income up to 130% of the social minimum. The maximum allowance is €1,300.

What is 130% of the social minimum?

That depends on your circumstances. Please see the table below

Home situation130% of social minimum without benefits and holiday  in euro (net per month)
Single or single parent between 21 years and AOW age (state pension age)1,585.53
Married or cohabiting, both between 21 years and AOW age (state pension age)2,265.04
Single or single parent with AOW (state pension)1,760.81
Married or cohabiting, one or both receiving AOW (state pension)2,386.41

Apply yourself

If your household does not automatically receive the energy allowance, you can apply yourself using DigiD. If you meet the criteria for the energy allowance, you could receive up to €1,300.

After the application, you will receive a letter. This letter will state whether you are entitled to the energy allowance. We try to send you this letter within 8 weeks. This may sometimes take longer because many people apply for the energy allowance now.


The criteria for the energy allowance are:

  • You must be 21 years or older and live in an independent residence.
  • You must pay your own energy costs.
  • Your income must be no higher than 130% of the social minimum. Please see the table at the top of this page.
  • No one in your household has already received the energy allowance 2023.

Unsure if you meet the criteria? Please apply anyway. We will assess whether you are eligible for the energy allowance

Automatic allocation

Many households received the energy allowance automatically in their bank accounts in 2023. This includes people on benefits.

Spread the word

Do you know anyone who might be eligible for the energy allowance? Please inform them. We aim to ensure that everyone entitled receives the allowance.

Learn more

If you have questions about the energy allowance:

  • Ask your contact officer at Sociale Zaken Maastricht Heuvelland or call 14 043 (Monday to Friday, 08:30 to 16:30).
  • Send an email to energietoeslag [at] (energietoeslag[at]maastricht[dot]nl)

Frequently Asked Questions

  • A household can be a single person, a single parent with one or more children, cohabiting individuals, or married couples.

  • An independent residence is a residence with its own entrance and private kitchen, bathroom, and toilet.

  • In certain cases, students who receive specific types of financial aid from Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs (DUO) may receive up to €400 as compensation for high energy bills. DUO will automatically pay this amount starting January 2024. Please contact DUO for the latest information.